Klarna in numbers
At Klarna, we love data, we cannot lie! Especially when it tells a story. Find out the latest and greatest on Klarna, as we grow into a global brand consumers and merchants love.
updated: MAY 16, 2019
⇣ SCROLL DOWN TO LEARN MORE ⇣
Are now live with Klarna!
The busiest second during Black Friday 2018!
New consumers were using Klarna's smoooth payments in 2018.
Our latest investor was crowned Smoooth Dogg in January-19. The coronation film has more than 15 million views on YouTube.
In 2018, an average of 1 million transactions per day were made using Klarna.
New employees were hired during the last 12 months. In November 2018 we hired 1.3 engineers per day.
Views of Smoooth Bass - Belly getting hit by soundwaves on YouTube. Warning: Don't try to wobble your belly at home!
The busiest and slowest shopping month respectively for Klarna's consumers in 2018.
Is the average time spent in the Klarna app, reading articles, managing personal finances, tracking goods and overviewing purchases.
The busiest hour and shopping day for Klarna's consumers in 2018.
Participated in the Pride parades in Stockholm and Munich 2018 on Klarna's own truck - the biggest and smooothest in the parade!
During 2018, Klarna's sales volume grew with 36% compared to same period last year, amounting to EUR 25bn (SEK 252bn).
Hand Dyed Shoe Company claims crown in Klarna’s ‘Smoooth Stores’ competition in the UK - congratulations!
We've already started a journey to become more sustainable in how we function, now we commit to being carbon neutral by the end of 2019.
New product releases
We’ve launched a lot of great new products, features and services during 2018 and beginning of 2019. Below is a short run-through of some of those we are a little extra proud of.
Pay later in 3 and 4
Pay later in 3 and 4
Consumers simply spread the cost of purchase over time by scheduling payments from their own credit or debit cards. Costing no more than if they simply paid for the entire purchase up front. The popularity of this offering has soared with merchants since its launch!
Pay later in 3 is available in the UK and Pay later in 4 in the US.
The Klarna app, live on all markets, gives consumers complete control of their shopping experience. It lets consumers shop and make payments, get payment reminders, see everything they’ve bought, pay directly with their bank accounts, switch payment methods, and many other things. And it becomes better, smarter and smooother the more you use it!
Merchant lending, Boost
Merchant lending, Boost
Boost merchant lending, live across 7 markets, is a financing program with a simple and straightforward application process, which enables merchants to quickly access funding, as well as decrease any financing related stress.
Klarna launched Boost to supercharge small and medium-sized enterprises’ (SME’s) growth!
The Klarna card launched in Sweden and Germany and makes it possible to use and enjoy Klarna everywhere!
In both Sweden and Germany, Google Pay is available, and in Sweden consumers also have the possibility to add the Klarna Card to Apple Pay – smoooth!
Growth in top 5 shopping categories
These figures represent growth in volumes through Klarna’s payment alternatives across markets in 2018, compared to 2017. Question is – have our consumers gotten sportier and more fashionable?!
Fashion and Accessories
Sport & Leisure
Local market development
Throughout 2018 and 2019 we’ve accomplished some really great things on all our markets. Below you’ll find a selection of facts and latest achievements for each market.
Germany, Austria and Switzerland
- Klarna card launched in Germany and live with Google Pay
- More than 2.4 million monthly active app users
- New merchants include Expedia Group, Babymarkt, Stylebop, Sephora, IKEA, Cinemaxx and the Austrian toll operator ASFiNAG
- New General Manager – Robert Bueninck
- 25,000 new users per week
- 1 million active Pay later users
- Arcadia Group first fashion retailer to launch Pay later in 3
- New merchants include Missguided, BEAUTY BAY, Swoon, In The Style, The Fragrance Shop, Clas Ohlson, Gymshark and Moss Bros
- The busiest shopping week – Black Week – grew approx 40% in volumes compared to 2017 across Sweden, Norway and Finland
- 100,000 Klarna cards issued in Sweden and live with both Google Pay and Apple Pay
- More than 2 million monthly active Klarna App users in Sweden
- Pay with one click (PWOC) launched in the app in Norway
- New General Manager in Finland and Norway – Jani Tyyni
- New Nordic merchants include H&M, IKEA, XXL and Expedia Group
- Number of live merchants more than doubled during the year
- Rancourt & Co., premium leather shoe crafters, first US merchant to launch Pay later in 4
- New merchants include Daniel Wellington, Overstock.com, Storets, Toteme, Soho Girl, Gravity Blankets and Acne Studios
Belgium and the Netherlands
- 1.8 million active Pay later users in the Netherlands
- New merchants include IKEA, Travelbags, Greetz, V&D, van Haren, Intergamma, Tix.be and IT-school
- New General Manager – Wilko Klaassen
Top five nationalities represented are Swedish, German, American, British and Dutch
Average age: 32
Youngest is 18 and oldest is 66
Market presence: 14 core markets
Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, United Kingdom and USA
Fika lovers: Yes!
7,500 kg coffee, 6,600 kg fruit & 3,000 kg candy consumed at HQ in Stockholm alone