Klarna’s Buyer Protection Policy for Consumers.
In the unlikely event that there is a problem with your purchase, Klarna’s Buyer Protection Policy (“Policy”) ensures that you don’t have to pay – or get your money back. The aim of our Policy is to let you feel at ease when you shop in one of our partner e-stores. If your goods are not delivered or if there is something wrong with them, we will help you resolve the issue. When you pay with Klarna, you can also trust that we process your personal data at the highest security level (read more in the section “Data Protection”).
Klarna’s Buyer Protection covers all online purchases that you make as a consumer when you use Klarna.
If you don’t receive the goods you bought.
If you don’t receive the goods you bought, we won’t ask you to pay.
If you choose to pay with Klarna’s Pay later, you don’t have to pay until the goods have been delivered. If the delivery of your goods is delayed, please do the following:
- Double-check that you haven’t missed a delivery notice.
- Contact Klarna’s customer service to have the payment due date postponed.
- If you still haven’t received your goods when the new due date approaches, contact Klarna’s customer service. We won’t ask you to pay while we are looking into the matter. If our investigations show that the goods have not been delivered, we won’t ask you to pay – unless one of the exceptions applies (please see below).
What should you do if you already paid?
If you already paid (with card or via bank transfer or if you paid your Pay later invoice before the due date) for goods that you don’t receive, please do the following
- Double-check that you haven’t missed a delivery notice
- Contact the e-store to find out where the goods are
- If the problem remains unsolved, contact Klarna’s customer service. We won’t ask you to pay while we’re looking into the matter. If your investigations show that the goods have not been delivered, we will refund your payment – unless one of the exceptions applies (please see below).
You must make it possible for the goods to be delivered to you in order to be entitled to a refund or to suspend your due date in situations where your goods have not been delivered. If you don’t pick up the goods after you’ve received a delivery notice, you are generally liable for the cost of returning the goods to the store.
Please also keep in mind that if you want to use your cancellation right, you have to inform the store. If you don’t give notice, the store can refuse to accept the goods. If you already paid for goods that you want to return, Klarna may withhold an amount corresponding to the return fee (or if the store refuses to accept the goods, the entire sum). Klarna may also request payment or withhold part of the sum you paid if your goods are seized by Customs.
If the goods are defective or not what you purchased.
We won’t ask for payment if the goods are defective
If you choose to pay with Klarna’s Pay later, you don’t have to pay until the goods have been delivered. You can examine the goods at home and check that everything is in order before you pay. If the item you received is not something you ordered, is defective, damaged or incomplete at the time of delivery, or does not match the merchant’s description of the product at the time of purchase, please do the following:
- Contact Klarna’s customer service so that we can suspend your payment due date
- Contact the merchant to try and resolve the issue
- If you haven’t reached an understanding with the merchant before the new due date, contact Klarna’s customer service. Please have your order information with you during the call, including the merchant name, date of purchase, order number, description of the disputed good, and date when you first contacted the seller about the dispute. We will only ask you to pay if we conclude, based on an extensive investigation, that your claims are invalid.
Please inform Klarna as soon as possible if you give notice of defective goods to the merchant so that we don’t send you an unfounded payment reminder. Please also note that this Policy does not apply if the goods you receive are accurately described by the merchant but do not meet your expectations.
What should you do if you already paid?
If you already paid for the goods before you notice a defect, please do the following:
- Contact the merchant and try to resolve the issue
- If you cannot reach an understanding with the merchant, contact Klarna’s customer service within the statutory cooling off period. If investigations show that your goods are defective, we will refund the amount you paid for your purchase, including shipping charges.
Do you want to cancel your purchase?
If you have the right to cancel your online purchase under the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013, Klarna will refund the amount you paid for your purchase and the delivery costs. However, we may make a deduction from refundable delivery costs if you chose to have the goods delivered with a more expensive method than standard delivery. We will also deduct shipping costs for the return depending on your agreement with the merchant. Please also note that if the value of the goods has been reduced as a result of you handling the goods more than necessary (more than you would do in a shop), we may also deduct a sum corresponding to the reduction in value.
Your right to cancel a purchase for goods starts at the moment you place your order and ends 14 days from the day you receive your goods. You then have a further 14 days to actually send the goods back. Please keep in mind, however, that there are some circumstances where the Consumer Contracts Regulations will not give you a right to cancel. Exceptions include airline tickets and tailor-made and personalized items.
Your cancellation rights are statutory and cannot be excluded by contract by the merchant. The merchant also has an obligation to inform you about your cancellation rights.
We do our utmost to protect your personal data. When you shop with Klarna, your data is protected by established processes and organizational features such as technical systems.
We have a registered personal data representative and certified data protection specialists who work hard to ensure that your personal data remains secure in all situations and at all times throughout the purchase process. Our data protection specialists are trained specifically in ensuring that data is always handled in a correct and secure manner.
We also have technical systems in place to detect and prevent any unauthorized attempts to exploit your data through us. In the unlikely event that you should discover that your personal data has been misused or used without authorization, please contact customer service, who will deal with the matter in the best way possible.
Claims with your merchant or with financial institutions
With your merchant
This Policy outlines Klarna’s own procedures for undelivered or materially different products as described above. Merchants subject to any dispute or claim under this Policy may still bring a payment claim against you without the involvement of Klarna. Should you and the merchant reach an agreement concerning the payment claim, or should your dispute with the merchant be adjudicated in a different forum (for example, through arbitration or a court), and the dispute is found in favor of the merchant, the merchant may reinstate the payment claim through Klarna or other means.
With your financial institutions
If you used your credit or debit card or bank deposit to purchase the disputed good through Klarna, or your credit or debit card or bank account information was used for an unauthorized purchase, you can submit a claim with (i) Klarna under this Policy or (ii) dispute the charge through your card issuing bank or depository institution, but not both. If you submit a claim with us, and then dispute the charge with your issuing bank or depository institution, and we receive a chargeback or other payment reversal, we will cancel your claim. If your claim with us is canceled or denied, or you otherwise do not obtain a refund from us, you can still dispute the purchase with your issuing bank or depository institution according to your issuing bank’s or depository institution’s policies.
If you have already paid when filing a claim, and we accept your claim, we will refund you back the amount you paid for your purchase, including any taxes, shipping and handling charges paid by you.