What is SCA?
SCA (Strong Customer Authentification) is an European requirement to make online payments more secure. If you are making a payment within the EU, more than one authentications are required at the time of the transaction. SCA is based on the use of two or more of the following elements:
- Something that only the user knows (e.g. password, code, PIN).
- Something that only the user has (e.g. token, smart card, mobile phone).
- Something that the user is (e.g. biometric features, such as a fingerprint).
The reason why SCA must be adhered to in the case of Sofortüberweisung is because you as the payer:
- access your payment account online;
- initiate an electronic payment transaction;
- carry out the operations online, i.e. via an external channel that poses an increased risk of fraud or other misuse.
Was this article helpful?
Still need help? Contact us.
Support is provided in German and English.