How can I spot and avoid COVID-19 scams?
While it is always important to remain vigilant online, during these challenging times it’s important that you guard against fraudsters taking advantage of the COVID-19 crisis to target you with fraudulent emails, phone calls, text messages or social media posts.
Here are some simple tips to help you avoid potential COVID-19 scams:
- Check a website is safe by ensuring either ‘https://’ or the padlock symbol is present in the URL
- Check the email address you’ve received contact from
- Check closely for mistakes with spelling and grammar
- Don’t be rushed into taking a decision to click on links
- Don’t be rushed into providing personal/financial information
- Don’t click on links from sources you do not trust
- Don’t download or open any attachments from sources you do not trust
Always follow the advice of the Take Five to Stop Fraud campaign and Stop, Challenge, Protect when being asked for your personal and financial information. For more information visit the Take Five to Stop Fraud campaign.
Remember: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
Was this article helpful?
Still need help? Contact us.
We’re available 24/7 via chat.
Local Rate: 020 300 50833
Freephone: 0808 189 3333
COVID-19 related: 0203 005 0834
Fraud related (available 24/7): 0203 005 0837