14 September 2018 – The largest sportswear retailer in the Nordic region, XXL, introduces the new payment system Klarna in-store to all its department stores. This enables consumers to shop using their mobile phone, and simply choose when and how to pay in the privacy of their own device.
The new collaboration was announced at Norway’s largest online shopping conference, LOAD.18.
– Klarnas in-store payment solution hits the bulls eye, both for us and our customers. This means that visitors in our physical warehouse gets the same opportunity to use different payment methods available online, and can choose to either divide payment with instalments, pay later or pay for it all at once. They also get to seamlessly move between the physical department store and the online store, says the pleased CIO and Omnichannel Director of XXL, Espen Terland.
The new payment solution from Klarna will be rolled out in all 77 of XXL’s department stores in the Nordic region next month. The principle behind Klarna in-store is that consumers get exactly the same payment options no matter whether they visit the online or physical department stores.
Flexible payment options increase conversion and customer satisfaction
– We are very proud and pleased to get such a big, professional and accomplished partner as XXL. When using our payment solution, you can choose whether to pay later by invoice, divide it with instalments or make a direct payment with bank transfer or card, all with the tap of a finger on your mobile phone. If you would like to request financing, the credit assessment takes place in less than a minute, and without the customer having to provide any information to the shopkeepers. This innovative solution makes the purchase experience smoother, and the store increases sales by offering more flexible payment options, says the Marketing Director for Klarna Norway, Thomas Elvestad.
Everything can be done with the mobile phone
If you wish to use Klarna in-store, simply state your mobile phone number in the checkout and receive a link. Click the link, and you are able to choose payment options and complete the purchase – all with your own mobile phone.
– Purchases with Klarna in-store gets added to the Klarna app, just like any other purchase made with Klarna, so that you always have a full overview of your purchases, explains Elvestad.
Online and in-store merged together
It is also possible to use the solution to order items in the physical store and get them shipped home via XXL’s online store.
– If we do not have the trekking trousers or hiking boots you were looking for, it is easy to order the items in the store. They will then arrive at your home by mail after a couple of days. This should be equally seamless the other way around as well. If you find something online, you can of course order and pick it up in-store if you wish, says CIO and Omnichannel Director in XXL.
Klarnas solution is unique
XXL has a total of 77 department stores throughout the Nordic region, 35 in Norway, 26 in Sweden and 15 in Finland. The new platform also lets the customer get an item shipped to their home from another department store with the item in question, as well as choose to pick up the item themselves.
– In order to get this omnichannel solution working optimally it is key that the payment solution is as flexible as our other platforms. Klarna provides a solution that is unique in the Nordic region. They are also a service provider that can deliver the same solution across severals markets, while at the same time optimise and adapt to cater for regional rules and preferences. That is an important feature that matches our ambitions, said Espen Terland.
For more information
Thomas Elvestad, Marketing Director, Norge
+47 932 51 163
Espen Terland, CIO & Omnichannel Director
+ 47 934 17 106
Klarna is one of Europe’s leading payments providers and fully licensed bank, which wants to revolutionise the payment experience for shoppers and merchants alike. Founded in Stockholm, Sweden, in 2005, we give online consumers the option to pay now, pay later or over time – offering a simple, safe and smoooth checkout experience. Klarna now works with 90,000 merchants. Klarna has 2,000 employees and is active in 14 countries.
XXL is a leading sports retailer with stores and e-commerce in Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Austria. It is the largest among the major sports retailers in the Nordics and the fastest growing among the major sports retail chains in the World. XXL pursues a broad customer appeal, offering a one stop shop experience with a wide range of products for sports, hunting, skiing, biking and other outdoor activities. XXL’s concept is to have the largest stores with the best prices and the widest assortment of products, focusing on branded goods.