Klarna publishes interim financial statements for January - September 2019
November 29, 2019 – Today, Klarna Bank AB (publ) (“Klarna”) publishes its interim financial statements for January-September 2019. The full report is available at www.klarna.com.
Selected highlights from the period:
– Strong demand for Klarna’s offering from consumers, merchants and partners across all markets drives continued growth in total underlying sales volume and total operating revenue, net, 30% and 31% YoY respectively. Total underlying sales volume amounted to almost SEK 230bn (USD 24bn) during the period.
– Almost 50,000 new merchants, both online and in-store, have been added by the end of September (60,000 YTD), meaning approximately 1,300 weekly additions. At the end of the period, Klarna had more than 180,000 live merchants, which by November had increased to 190,000. Recent merchants partners include; River Island, Boohoo, Abercrombie & Fitch, Hollister, Timberland, Swarovski, Good American, MVMT, Desenio, S by Serena Williams, Made.com, Rue21 and TOMS.
– Consumer acquisition continues at a high pace, and by the end of September close to 15 million new consumers have been added, or more than 20 million new consumers annualised based on September run rate.
– In the US, the number of new consumers is currently growing at an annual rate of 6 million. In the UK, 6 million consumers have used Klarna’s services, and currently over 55,000 new consumers are being added weekly.
– In the US, the Klarna in-app shopping feature has very strong momentum, this app allowing consumers shop at any online store is resonating well since launch in May and monthly active users has grown significantly, close to 160% from July to the end of September. In October, it was the top trending shopping app on the US Google Play Store. The Klarna app is by far the most downloaded app compared to direct competitors in the US, exceeding other apps by more than 100,000 monthly downloads.
– The Klarna card, currently available in Germany and Sweden, has reached more than 220,000 issued cards at the end of the period. The Klarna card and its in-demand features drive continued volume growth through both number of card holders and number of transactions.
For further information, please contact:
Aoife Houlihan, VP of Communications
+46 (0) 72855 8047
We make shopping smoooth. With Klarna consumers can buy now and pay later, so they can get what they love today. Klarna’s offering to consumers and retailers include payments, social shopping, and personal finances. Over 190,000 merchants, including H&M, Adidas, IKEA, Expedia Group, Samsung, ASOS, Peloton, Abercrombie & Fitch, Nike and AliExpress have enabled Klarna’s innovative shopping experience online and in-store. Klarna is the most highly valued fintech in Europe with a valuation of $5.5bn and one of the largest private fintechs globally. Klarna was founded in 2005, has over 2,500 employees and is active in 17 countries. For more information, visit klarna.com.
This information is information that Klarna Bank AB (publ) is obliged to make public pursuant to the EU Market Abuse Regulation. The information was submitted for publication, through the agency of the contact person set out above, at 08:00 CET on November 29, 2019.