What is a One-time card, and how does it work?
Our One-time card is a virtual single-use card to use for shopping at any UK-facing online store. Each time you create a One-time card with Klarna, you will be given a unique card number that you can use in the store’s checkout, like any regular payment card. Each One-time card then follows its own payment plan that you can pay and manage in the Klarna app or on klarna.com.
Please be aware that depending on the payment option you choose when creating the card, there might be a pre-authorisation hold placed on your payment card. This ensures that enough funds are available on your credit or debit card.
How to create a One-time card
- To create a One-time card, just choose to “Pay with Klarna” when you shop in the Klarna app or create a new One-time card from the “My Klarna” tab.
- Enter the amount that you plan to spend, and you’ll choose how you want to pay for it.
- Your One-time card issued by Klarna is now created and ready to use at the stores checkout.
- When you reach the payment method, select the credit card option, and enter the One-time card information as you would with any other card. Enter the card number, expiration date, and CVV. If asked for the name on the card, simply use your name.
- If you end up spending less than the amount on your One-time card you can change the spending amount of your One-time card by clicking ‘Refund unused amount’ on the order page here or in the app. Otherwise, the amount will automatically be adjusted after 14 days.
Good to know: A One-time card can only be used once and expires after 24h. If you want to make another purchase, just create a new card.
Where can I use the One-time card?
Everywhere! Choose the ‘Browser’ tab in the Klarna app to use a One-time card at any online retailer. Just search for your favourite store in the search bar, create a One-time card, and use your card when you’re ready to checkout. If you want to know more about at what stores it might not be possible to shop with the One-time card, please click here.
How do I pay for the purchases made with the One-time card?
When you first create a One-time card, it will be connected to your personal debit or credit card. According to the payment option you chose when creating the One-time card, a payment plan will be created. Each purchase follows its own payment schedule, and payments are made according to the agreed payment plan. You can view your plan, pay early and change your connected debit or credit card any time in the app or here.
Good to know: AMEX or pre-paid cards are not accepted when creating a One-time card.
Was this article helpful?
Still need help? Contact us.
We’re available 24/7 via chat.
Local Rate: 020 300 50833
Freephone: 0808 189 3333
COVID-19 related: 0203 005 0834
Fraud related (available 24/7): 0203 005 0837