How can I help protect myself against fraud?
There’s lots of useful information available through Industry Initiatives to help consumers protect themselves against fraud. We’ve highlighted a number of these simple tips below:
- Never give out your personal details to someone who has called you unexpectedly. This includes your account information and passwords or PIN – Financial services companies or the Police will never call you and ask for this type of information.
- Never download any software onto your PC or mobile phone when asked by someone over the phone or by email – even if you think you are speaking to a trusted organisation.
- If you are unsure about someone who has called you claiming to be from the bank or another company, hang up and call back on the company’s published telephone number.
- Keep your personal information secure when using your card over the phone, on the internet, or in shops by ensuring that others can’t overhear you or see your information.
- Use a redirection service when moving to a new home such as the one provided by the Royal Mail as well as informing your bank, card company and any other organisations that require your new address.
- Destroy unwanted documents including bills, bank statements or post that’s in your name, preferably by using a shredder.
- Provide as little personal information about yourself on social media as possible and only accept invitations from people you know.
- Be careful if other people have access to your post. Contact Royal Mail if you think your post is being stolen.
- Cancel any lost or stolen credit or debit cards immediately.
- If your passport, driving licence, cards or other personal information have been lost or stolen, immediately contact the organisation that issued it.
Read ‘Where can I find further information on protecting myself from fraud?’ FAQ here.
Was this article helpful?
Still need help? Contact us.
We’re available 24/7 via chat.
Local Rate: 020 300 50833
Freephone: 0808 189 3333
COVID-19 related: 0203 005 0834
Fraud related (available 24/7): 0203 005 0837