What is a One-time card and how does it work?
Our One-time card is a virtual single-use card to use for shopping at any US facing online store. Each time you create a One-time card with Klarna, you will be given a unique card number that you can use in the checkout of the store, like any regular credit card. Each One-time card then follows its own payment plan that you can pay and manage in the Klarna app or on klarna.com.
Please be aware that depending on the payment option you choose when creating the card, there might be a pre-authorization hold placed on your payment card. This ensures that enough funds are available on your credit or debit card.
How to create a One-time card
- To create a one-time card just choose to “Pay with Klarna” when you shop in the Klarna app or create a new one-time card from the “My Klarna” tab.
- Enter the dollar amount that you plan to spend and you’ll choose how you want to pay for it
- Once you’re ready to checkout your address details will be filled in based on what we have on file. If we don’t already have your information, you will enter your standard billing and shipping addresses.
- When you reach the payment method, select the credit card option, and enter the One-time card information as you would with any other card. Enter the card number, expiration date, and CVV. If asked for the name on the card, simply use your name.
- If you end up spending less than the amount on your One-time card you can either wait 14 days for your payment plan to be automatically adjusted or you can adjust the spending amount of your One-time card by clicking ‘Refund unused amount’ on the order page here or in the app.
Good to know: A One-time card can only be used once and expires after 24h. If you want to make another purchase, just create a new card and keep on shopping.
Where can I use the One-time card?
Everywhere! Choose the ‘Browser’ tab in the Klarna app to use a One-time card at any online retailer. Just search for your favorite store in the search bar, create a One-time card, and use your card when you’re ready to checkout. If you want to know more about at what stores it might not be possible to shop with the One-time card please click here.
How do I pay for the purchases made with the One-time card?
When you first create a One-time card, it will be connected to your personal debit or credit card. According to the payment option you chose when creating the One-time card a payment plan will be created. Each purchase follows its own payment schedule and payments are made according to the agreed payment plan. However, the first payment won’t be charged until you place an order and the store accepts it. You can view and pay your statements in the app or here.
Good to know: AMEX cards are not accepted when creating a One-time card.
Was this article helpful?